Wednesday, June 18, 2008

About Kate: What is up with that Skeleton?

The Song:




The Lyrics:

Skeleton, you are my friend
But you are made of bone
And you have got no flesh and blood running through you
To help you protect the bone

Yes, Skeleton, we have been friends for years
And you have seen me through some trials and tribulations and some tears
But everybody thinks I'm weird

And I should have known
That it wouldn't be long until you
You've got me standing in an awkward position
With unwanted attention
And a need for explanation
And it's not that I'm letting go of you
But I dunno what to do

Skeleton, we are so close
But you have got no body
So why do you insist on wearing clothes?
Skeleton, when we were young it was easier
Even though the other kids, they would tease me
I was only seven I had you, but now I'm 22

And now it's different
When I take you out and you
You've got me standing in an awkward postition
With unwanted attention
And a need for explanation
And it's not that I'm letting go of you
But I dunno what to do

And sometimes, at night
I dream of the most terrible things
I take a hammer and I creep out of bed
And I raise it high, and I smash your head
Fibular and tibular and ribs and cages, too
In fact, while I'm here, I'll smash the whole of you

(Vocalizing)

But...Skeleton, you are my friend
And I could never bring your life to an end
Yes, Skeleton, you are my friend
And I will be theere for you until the end

And even though when I take you out you've got me
You've got me standing in an awkward position
With unwanted attention
And a need for explanation
I could never let you go
And that is all I know

So - after pouring over a few interviews, reviews, and articles - here's what I have so far:

Some History:

- Kate Nash, raised in 5 zone burg of London - Harrow.
- Applied for Admission to the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School in 2006 - was denied. On the day she found out she was not admitted, she fell down the stairs and broke her leg (rotten luck).
- Parents bought electric guitar and amp for her - cosolation.
- Kate began recording her music with Garage Band and posted her music on a myspace page. (Super cute/well composed video interview on her site).
- Lilly Allen had Kate on her "top eight" and soon enough, Kate gained a little boost, was signed to Fiction Records and started producing music.

Quote from THIS article:
"I think it's telling a story, that's my strength as a songwriter. That's because I did an acting course, and I've read a lot of plays, and I love films, and I love theatre, and I wrote a lot of short films and stuff before I wrote songs. So I think I'm good at writing stories. I write a lot of really simple stuff, and I think that means loads, it's relatable to a lot of people because I write a lot of human, really simple stuff.

And I'm good at mixing something really simple, really real with more imaginative stuff, like writing a song about a girl who's friends with a skeleton, and they've got a weird relationship. My Mum bought this skeleton, and it's in our house, he's called Stanley, and my sister was doing a photography project on him. It's really funny actually 'cos sometime I come home and he's changed clothes and it's really weird. Yeah, it's about a girl who's friends with a skeleton and she's really weird 'cos she's not sure she can still be friends with a skeleton anymore 'cos she's twenty-two and when it was seven it was fine but she's not sure now and it's just a bit weird. And that's just something a bit fun, and a bit weird, but mixed with one of those relationships that doesn't really work. I watched 'Lost In Translation' recently and it was really beautiful, it was definitely a relationship that just didn't fit in anywhere, and I like that kind of thing. It really could only be in Japan, like where they were, they could never go home and hook up. I'm not saying skeletons are intense or anything, but it's a bit of fun."

From the mouth and mind of the artist. I find it funny - as here's what some others are saying:

"In my mind it's a metaphor for the difficulty in trying to hold on to your youth, and the fact that you have to let go of those things that you had when you were a child. A coming of age song, in some ways I think. This makes the bridge somewhat poignant for me, as it implies the protagonist wants to physically break all ties with her youth, but can't bring herself to do so. In summary, I think the skeleton represents childhood, and the song is about having to grow up and break away from that."

"i reckon its about her friend who is very empty inside and stuff...the skeleton stuff is metaphorical"

"I think it could go two ways:
It's either about a literal skeleton toy thing (which is a bit odd but doesn't sound out of the ordinary for Kate Nash lol) which belongs to her or a friend
or
It's about anorexia and she's questioning the purpose of it. It's giving her unwanted attention and such.
I don't know, I'm going to a gig of hers soon so i hope she'll mention it."

"I was sat on thus bus last night, and I've always wandered what this was aobut. But then I figured, imaginary friend.
Not everything is always so deep!"

"OMG people OPEN your minds!!!
I was reading through hoping for someone to finally get it, but they don't! Ever heard of the term "skeletons in the closet"???
It's about things she's done in the past, her "dirty" or "shameful" secrets and she has nightmares about it,and she wishes she could "KILL" the past, but she could never do it,because it's also something that has lived with her forever."

HILARIOUS.

A Live/Recorded Performance



A Super Fun Performance



"Who's Next?" Interview - Thanks Yahoo.



On Influences: (From THIS interview)

"It was more like concerts when I was really young—like Irish music, cos my mum’s Irish, and classical music. Then, when I was 14, all my friends went to see metal bands at Wembley Rugby Club, in Harrow: and then all the rude boys would come down and stab everyone and smash windows, and we’d all have to run home because the police would come down—and everyone would be home by 10 o’clock, la la la. Then my friends started going to Putney and Camden, gigs there…”

"I started to go to gigs like The Strokes and Regina Spektor and loads of people, then I got into the amateur scene with people like Peggy Sue And The Pirates [her support band], blah blah blah…”

"I loved Regina Spektor and Janis Joplin because she was crazy, and Eva Cassidy, I loved her…Destiny’s Child…”






No comments: