Wednesday, May 21, 2008

It Begins

Alright. Here we go.

I have a hard time with blogs. I do enjoy them, but usually blogs and I have moments in time when we're madly, madly in love - usually when I'm madly, madly in love...or when I'm just...mad. I had a live journal and a xanga (both back in high school, xanga was junior high...very angsty) and while it's fun to relive memories - I have a hard time keeping up with any blog.

This should be different - I'll be able to reflect in an informal fashion or just post things I find interesting/quirky/fun (the quirky fun part may come after this course has finished, as I plan on keeping this blog for a while).

Some ideas that we've touched upon in class keep swimming around in my brain - and I figure I might as well get them out. The notion of the internet as the great equalizer - the constant bridging of ideas and information, is very truthful. But along with the neutralization of distance and time as factors in information sharing and communicating, we have fractured ourselves into many identities. There are web-communities for any and all walks of life.  Any identity/hobby/activity/fetish you can think of - I'm sure there's a message board somewhere exploring that. Does this create a rift in our "connectedness?" I would say no, but there are many who would actively disengage or discriminate if they knew all the identities the internet has enabled us to take on. It's about sharing information, sharing opinion, and sharing a way of life - and that is what makes the internet so exciting!

Speaking of sharing (smooth, I know) I figured I'd end now before I ramble on too much (too late) - but before I go, here's some Leslie Feist to wrap your brain around (I wanted to post more than one video - but I don't know how to create a "behind the cut" link so it wouldn't crowd the page).  Anywho - I'm already thinking ahead about what work I want to focus on for my first analysis - this is option one  (p.s. I've always wanted to dance on a moving sidewalk):




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"...we have fractured ourselves into many identities."

Yes, but isn't this a by-product of print technology?

However, I certainly agree with your assertion that electric technologies have led to a decentralization of our culture.